Thinking about the future? So are we.
Here at USCorr, sustainability is an across-the-board commitment.
We promote scientifically, environmentally, socially and economically sustainable practices to meet the needs of the present without compromising the welfare of future generations. Our commitment to environmental responsibility drives the ways we choose to operate our business. And this goes way beyond recycling scrap (though we do about 23,000 tons of that per year too).
At U.S. Corrugated you’ll find sustainability practices in every aspect of our business, every step along the way, and in every department.
This means the materials we source, how we design, how we manufacture, the products we sell, how we ship and receive, and even the efficiency systems of our facilities themselves.
Paper & Recycling
- The big mill systems get paid for every ton they create, so it simply isn’t good business to reduce the amount of virgin fiber they’re using.
U.S. Corrugated is not tied to any mill, so we purchase raw materials from the best and most efficient source every time
- We utilize advanced light fiber technology, which reduces virgin fiber usage, and number of trees cut down, while delivering superior strength and quality
- New paper technologies increase durability and performance while lowering consumption of virgin wood pulp by 24%
- We’re one of only a few companies in the country able to utilize these engineering advancements
- We purchase and use upwards of 96,275 tons of post-consumer materials each year – adding up to over 50% of total paper sourcing
- We recycle 23,000 tons of scrap and trim each year
- In California alone, our Superplant is single-handedly responsible for keeping 30,000 tons of post-consumer paper out of landfills
Design & Production
- More than 90% of our printed packages and displays are created using water-based inks. All of our new plants and most of our legacy plants are equipped with water treatment facilities that remove contaminants from water discharge
- Our new cutting-edge Superplants are engineered to run as high-efficiency low-emissions facilities. Innovative lighting systems and computerized conveyor systems decrease fossil fuel usage. Carbon emissions from with forklifts are dramatically reduced, in turn reducing particulates escaping into the air. And our scrap system is internal, creating minimal discharge.
- Our design teams and Packaging Black Belts do a complete analysis of product packaging and shipping needs to eliminate air space and wasted materials
- We can custom design products made from 100% recycled materials
- All of our corrugator plants are SFI certified by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative
- We are also proud supporters of The Climate Group, a business-driven initiative for a cleaner and greener world for generations to come.
- Our facilities comply with all standards set forth by ISO 14001, mandating responsible methods for production in all areas
- We are actively incorporating alternative energy sources and systems within our facilities, like Solar Panels, energy-efficient lighting, usage minimization etc.
Shipping & Transport
- We’ve maximized the shipping of raw materials to our facilities, making use of every square foot of space. Specialized loading of rail cars has increased capacity by 35%
- With plants located around the country, we reduce transport miles and gas used during fulfillment. Plus our cube-utilization systems for packing and shipping products means fewer trucks traveling fewer miles.